Hey everybody, Moe E3 coming at you!
大家好,Moe E3 又和你见面啦!
Today’s expression:
今天学的表达:
“What do you do for a living?”
“你是靠什么谋生的?”
What’s your job?
你是做什么工作的?
How do you make money?
你怎么赚钱?
Do you have a job?
你有工作吗?
Where do you work?
你在哪儿上班?
How do you earn money?
你怎么挣钱?
They’re all the same expression.
这些说法其实都在问同一件事。
But this might be the most common pronunciation:
但最常见的口语发音是:
“What do you do for a living?”
“What do you do for a living?”
Nobody says that slowly.
没人会慢悠悠地说。
In natural speech it becomes:
自然口语里会变成:
“Whaddaya do fer a livin’?”
“Whaddaya do fer a livin’?”
Similar sounds go together:
相似音会连在一起:
“What do” → “whadda”
“What do” → “whadda”
“you” → “ya”
“you” → “ya”
“for a” → “fera”
“for a” → “fera”
So the whole sentence collapses to:
所以整句话压缩成:
“Whaddaya do fera livin’?”
“Whaddaya do fera livin’?”
Me? I’m an English teacher.
我呢?我是个英语老师。
If you meet an American, you might hear this dialogue:
如果你碰到美国人,可能会听到这样的对话:
— “Whaddaya do fera livin’?”
— “你是靠什么谋生的?”
— “I’m a teacher.”
— “我是个老师。”
— “Oh yeah? What do you teach?”
— “哦?你教什么?”
— “I’m a math teacher at Carson College.”
— “我在卡森学院教数学。”
Remember: if you’re really interested, don’t just say “I’m an engineer.”
记住:如果你真的感兴趣,别只说“我是工程师”。
Be specific:
要具体:
“I’m an electrical engineer.”
“我是电气工程师。”
“I’m a web programmer.”
“我是网页程序员。”
“I’m an Internet programmer.”
“我是互联网程序员。”
You can always ask:
你也可以追问:
“Oh, what kind of engineer?”
“哦,哪种工程师?”
“What kind of teacher?”
“哪种老师?”
Keep practicing and I’ll see you next time!
继续练,下次见!

